Thanks for joining me on this journey. You are my accountability!
At some point in almost every single day of my life I say, "I need to go on a diet." My emphatic declaration is usually met with silence from my husband. He will sometimes venture out with a, "Well?". He motions over to our book shelf with a collection of diet books that could rival a Barnes and Noble weight loss section.
Sometimes I make my daily comment to a new audience. This is usually met with, "No you don't!" That is sweet and ridiculous. But my favorite response comes from the person who thinks I need to get it right before I start. "Why do you think you need to diet?" I used to fall for this trap. I would talk about being beautiful, looking hot, wearing my tight jeans. All of these answers were rejected.The all knowing guru would reply, "Well, those aren't good reasons! Don't do it for your looks. Do it for your health."
I'm no longer a victim to that. When asked now I say, "My blood pressure is too high, I am borderline diabetic, I slowly collapsed a lawn chair last week and I can no longer make it up a flight of stairs without oxygen." The response is usually the same, "Well, then how do you plan to do it?" Ugh.
This is my plan. I would like to eat less and move more. This will get more complicated. It will be more about numbers and percentages. There will be more goals and more ideas. I just need to wake up tomorrow with the simple phrase eat less, move more. And in that, there will be hope.
You can do it! :) I'm working on it, too. When people ask me why, I say it's so I can be skinny at my baby sister's wedding in October. :) But there's a lot more to it than that. . . the answer just seems to be the one that raises the fewest questions.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, thanks for blogging! I look forward to following your journey. I found a great app on the Iphone that counts calories (in turn helps you eat less). I am trying to get healthier too...I am right here with you.
ReplyDeleteI have one suggestion to help you with accountability...journal what you eat. I learned in Weight Watchers long ago, "if you bite it, write it." You should also include in your journal your activity, even if it's parking further away when you go to the store. Take baby steps and soon you'll feel good enough and energetic enough to take giant steps. Can't wait to see the healthy YOU!!! I'll do a 5K with you when you're ready!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletethis is a great idea - go get'em jenjendenden. and in response to their questioning, you should've said "well, i'd try to gain more weight, but i don't have the pants for that."
ReplyDeleteYou can do it!! I am doing this thing called Advocare if you're interested. It really helps with the energy thing.
ReplyDeleteAlso remember, as you lose weight and move more, you will have more energy, naturally. It's a great thing. And eating healthy will also be a great example for your Ms. Olivia!
ReplyDeletei started this year with the same goal...i have to say i've already messed up but! i've also already done some things right. so do it! my mantra is similar...i have a simple plan for eating each day and i've connected with 3 groups so that i'm exercising at least 3 times a week. you can totally do it! the first few days are hard then it gets easier at least the eating part. you get used to eating less and eating right. i'm really only 3 weeks or so in, not sure how much wisdom that offers but you can do it!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words! Your messages have propelled me more than you know!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog! That is an accomplishment in itself!!! And I figured out how to comment on it. Even more props for me. :) I love it and laughed through it all. So glad you are doing this. And now I am terribly guilty for introducing you the best Mexican restaurant in Houston the day you started all of this. Sorry about that... :(
ReplyDelete